Welcome. We're here to help!
The 17th Judicial Circuit of Illinois’ Residential Mortgage Foreclosure Mediation Program provides a unique opportunity to aid families throughout Winnebago and Boone Counties who are in foreclosure.
Mediation is a process where a neutral third-party (a trained mediator) helps borrowers and lenders communicate to explore options available to a homeowner.
While not every mediation resolves the foreclosure, the process can give homeowners an opportunity to speak directly with a representative of their lending institution and may generate options for resolving the foreclosure, including possible loan modification and other available options.
If you have been served a residential mortgage foreclosure complaint, which could cause you to lose your home, in a case filed on or after June 1, 2014 in Winnebago County, or in a case filed on or after November 1, 2014 in Boone County, the Foreclosure Mediation Program may be available to assist you. You must submit a completed application found below within 21 days of being served a complaint to be eligible for the Program.
Get Started. Once you’ve created a profile and completed an application, HomeStart, a partner of the Foreclosure Mediation Program, will contact you about your next steps. HomeStart is a HUD approved, non-profit housing counseling agency that works in partnership with residents, local elected officials, and business leaders to strengthen communities within the Northern Illinois region. They specialize in education, counseling, and advising on a wide range of housing issues, including foreclosure.
Please call HomeStart at 815-962-2011 if you require language or other assistance in completing this application.
- ILForeclosureProgram.org is the OFFICIAL website for the 17th Judicial Circuit of Illinois’ Residential Mortgage Foreclosure Mediation Program. Program services are provided by a HUD approved, non-profit housing counseling agency and trained mediators. The Program is supported by funding from the Illinois Attorney General and the Circuit Court through filing fees, and is provided FREE of cost. If you feel you have become a victim of mortgage assistance fraud, you may contact Illinois Department of Financial Professional Regulation’s Mortgage Fraud Task Force at 1-800-532-8785.
Complete Our Application
Once your profile information is complete, you’ll need to complete the seven-step online application for assistance. It is necessary to complete all steps and submit the application within 21 days of when you were served with a foreclosure summons and complaint. Each step contains critical information we will need to be able to help you. This application will take approximately 45 minutes, and you may save in between steps. Please call HomeStart at 815-962-2011 if you require language or other assistance in completing this application.
Online Application process:
• Step 1: Homeowner Information
• Step 2: Contact Information
• Step 3: Property Information
• Step 4: Lender Information
• Step 5: Financial Worksheet
• Step 6: Hardship Letter
• Step 7: Other Required Documents