17th Judicial Circuit Court - Foreclosure Mediation


What is mediation and how can it help me? The 17th Judicial Circuit of Illinois’ Residential Mortgage Foreclosure Mediation Program provides a unique opportunity to aid families throughout Winnebago and Boone counties who are in foreclosure. Mediation is a process where a neutral third-party (a trained mediator) helps borrowers and lenders communicate to explore options available to a homeowner.

While not every mediation resolves the foreclosure, the process can give homeowners an opportunity to speak directly with a representative of their lending institution and may generate options for resolving the foreclosure, including possible loan modification and other available options.

Click here to watch a 5 minute video about foreclosure mediation.
Who is eligible? This program is available to: homeowners in a residential foreclosure case filed on or after June 1, 2014 in Winnebago County, Illinois; homeowners in a residential foreclosure case filed on or after November 1, 2014 in Boone County; and to other homeowners residing in Winnebago or Boone Counties should the Court refer the case to the Program.

If you have been served a complaint in a foreclosure action - which could cause you to lose your home - the Mediation Program may be available to assist you.
What do I have to do to participate?
  1.  Go to www.ILForeclosureProgram.org to learn more and to submit an application online within 21 days of being served a complaint for a residential foreclosure action.
  2. Homeowners may contact a represenative of the program at (815) 319-4995 if online access is not available or if language assistance is needed.
  3. Submit any additional documents requested. 
  4. Participate in a pre-mediation conference with the Program. The purpose of this conference is to review the documents required to complete your full application packet. This conference will be scheduled about 14 days after you complete your application. This appointment can be cancelled if all of your documents are submitted prior to the appointment. (All documents must be provided within 30 days of completing the online application or the case will be removed from the program.)
  5. Attend the mediation session and participate in good faith.
Comply with all program requirements and meet all deadlines.  Click here to review the local court rules that govern this program.
Do I have to pay anything? No, there is no cost to homeowners for housing counseling and mediation services. This program is supported by several sources, including the Office of the Illinois Attorney General and the Circuit Court through court filing fees.

Does participating in, or requesting, mediation stop the foreclosure case filed against me?

All legal proceedings will be on hold while you are participating in the program.
Will the mediator issue a decision in my case? No. The mediator will help you and your bank’s representatives talk to each other to explore the available options.
What is HomeStart? HomeStart is a nonprofit, HUD approved housing counseling agency. HomeStart helps area residents buy, improve, and save their homes from foreclosure.
*PLEASE NOTE that HomeStart will work with you and will provide housing counseling even if you are not eligible for the Mediation Program.
Does my bank have to modify my loan? No. However, the bank must check whether you are eligible for a loan modification and communicate with you in mediation.
What happens if we can't settle or my case is not eligible for mediation? Once your case leaves the program, you will have 21 days to file an appearance and answer or other responsive pleading to the complaint for mortgage foreclosure. The legal proceeding will then continue in court.
What if I have more questions? Call: (815) 319-4995
Email: FM@17thCircuit.IllinoisCourts.gov
Visit: 400 West State Street, Suite 060, Rockford, IL 61101
Where do I call if I need legal help but can't afford it? You may wish to call Prairie State Legal Services at 888-966-7757 Monday through Friday, 9 am–12 pm or 1–4 pm.

Proceed with Caution

Before entering into any transaction with a person offering to help you who is not affiliated with the Mortgage Foreclosure Mediation Program, please contact a lawyer, government official or HUD-approved housing counselor for advice.
A Rockford Website Design Creation by Jumping Trout, LLC.